Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Business Part of Key West, c. 1838

From the history "Key West: The Old and The New", in the earlier post. This part of Key West remains as the business area, or at least a portion of it. The business area and Old Town grew south from here as various stretches of water and other low places were filled in to expand the land area of the place.

It can be noted in the sketch that the harbor of the time was much closer in, as Duval Street is shown as being within two blocks of water on either side. The beginning of Duval St. is approximately in the same place today as it was in those times.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS