Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Wilma, Whither Thou Goest?

At five o'clock this morning, the National Hurricane Center is still showing Wilma's forecast track making a hard right turn early Saturday morning, which would bring it to within fifty miles of Key West on Saturday afternoon. Emergency Management declared a visitor evacuation effective at noon today. Boarding up has begun in various places.

We're under one of the bands of Wilma right now. It rained heavily early this morning. The skies are gray and we're probably due for a lot more rain today.

During Hurricane Rita the storm surge came to within two blocks of our house (and flooded to about 2-3 feet inland six blocks on the Atlantic side). Wilma, if it maintains its track, is likely to generate a much higher surge. I've seen estimates of between nine and twenty feet.

We're making preparations to evacuate, but don't want to become premature evacuators, so we'll continue to monitor things for at least the next twenty four hours before making any decision to move out. We'll need to make arrangements for the canaries somehow. Our first place to evacuate to is Bob's brother's home in the Melbourne area, but the track and cone of error appear to include that region. In fact, the cone encompasses the whole state of Florida except for a little of the panhandle near the Alabama-Gerogia borders.

Goombay is pretty much a goner. Fantasy Fest is much at risk. As are we all.

Stay tuned to this channel for updates.

No comments:

 
Use OpenDNS